Time for another tutorial in my "Charmed Halloween" series.
Supplies and Tools Needed:
1 small wood rectangle (about 3/4" x 1")
2 small plastic googly eyes
scraps of muslin
coffee or tea (to stain the muslin)
24 gauge dark annealed steel wire
Brown ink pad (I used Staz-On)
For tag: small shipping tag, desired images (I found mine at The Graphics Fairy)
1. Tear the muslin into several 1/4" - 3/8" wide strips. Immerse the strips into coffee or tea to stain them. Remove and rinse. Ball them up and let them dry naturally or use a blow dryer. (Wadding them into a ball will give them a crinkled effect). Once dry, separate the strands.
3. Wrap wire lengthwise around the wood piece and finish at the top with a wrapped loop. (Find out how to make a wrapped loop here)
5. Loosely glue muslin strips in a messy fashion to cover the first layer of muslin leaving the eyes uncovered.
6. Apply a thick coat of Modge Podge to the muslin to protect it and keep it from fraying. Let dry.
7. Lightly sand the muslin to remove some of the sharpness of the stiffened fabric.
For the Tag:
Remove the string from the mailing tag. Use Modge Podge to glue an image collage to one side of it. Let dry. Repeat for the other side. Once dried, rub with brown ink to age the images. Use the string to tie the charm onto the tag.
Front of Tag
Back of Tag
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
Be sure to return in a couple of days for the next tutorial
in my "Charmed Halloween" series!
More tutorials from the Charmed Halloween series:
Sharing with: Fireflies and Jellybeans: show Off Your Stuff , I Gotta Create!: Wildly Original Party, Happy-Go-Lucky: Shine on Friday, Here Comes the Sun: Fabulous Friday, Funky Junk Interiors: SNS 156 & 159, Craft-O-Maniac: Craft-O-Maniac Monday
Thanks for stopping by!