Tuesday, November 1, 2011

the Value of a Postage Stamp

What is the value of a postage stamp?

My dad is a philatelist which is just a fancy word for stamp collector. He has been collecting stamps for almost his entire life. Our local newspaper even wrote an article about him and his hobby. Here is the photo from that article.


Over the years my dad has acquired many stamps that vary in value. Lucky for me, I get the ones that he deems worthless. When I asked him what makes them worthless, he said it is because they are torn, bent, creased or just too common to be of any value at all. This may be true in the world of a philatelist but in my world...not so! The colors and designs of most stamps are beautiful and as for the creases...well...that just adds character!

I finally got around to making a necklace with a few of
my not-so-worthless stamps and wanted to share it with you.


I made the frames from brass washers that I purchased at a hardware store.
I hammered them for texture and then used E600 to glue handmade
copper rings and brass escutcheon pins to them.


I chose to use numbers because I have a thing for them...they're graphic and they just look cool! Besides, they were about the only area on the stamps that would be recognizable once placed inside the tiny frames. I lined the back of the frames with clear packing tape, used Modge Podge to glue the numbers into place and covered them with ICE resin.  I love how the resin magnifies the numbers! I wrapped copper wire around the escutcheon pins and wired each frame onto a strip of reclaimed green suede and then finished off the necklace with a copper chain and a handmade hook clasp.



What is the value of a postage stamp? I guess it depends on who you ask; but if you ask me, the value of these stamps are priceless because every time I wear this necklace it reminds me of my dad!

Linked to Funky Junk Interiors and some of these other link parties.

10 comments:

  1. Such an interesting piece!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a memorable piece. I love that!

    I inherited a stamp collection when I was a kid. Of course, do I still have it? NOT! Who knew?!!!

    I was even in a mail order stamp club. The loose stamps came in those little glassine envelopes. I had never seen them before. Those were cool!!!

    Off to see more....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am absolutely loving your blog jut spent a good amount of time looking around and it is wonderful!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on setting up a wonderful blog so quickly. I'm impressed! Loved your personal story too as I'm also a self-taught artist. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a nice necklace and neat story to go with it! Nice to have a piece of jewelry to remind us of our loved ones! Thanks for stopping by A Mother and A Daughter today! ~ Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are gorgeous and so creative! What orginal jewelry. I am a new follower from Fireflies and Jellybeans. I am co-hosting the Terrific Thursday blog hop and would love for you to link up your blog at http://www.messforless.net/2011/11/terrific-thursday-blog-hop-week-39.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know,every once in a while I see a piece and my mouth just falls open..Yup this is one of those,mouthdropping,drool spilling,heart pounding kinda piece.Stunning Kathy!!I just wish I could see them up close becasue it looks so cool in the photos!! YES,You are one lucky girl to have Dads torn up stamps!!Way Cool!!Hugs,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful piece! It's great that you've been able to do such interesting work with the "less worthy" stamps...clearly they still have value for other things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool!! What talent you have!!
    Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to reading what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Have a great day!
Kathy